SEASAC Soccer Tournament 2017 at Woodleigh Campus
6 November, 2017 – Over 200 students and coaches from nine different international schools in Asia took part in the South East Asia Student Activities Conference (SEASAC) Soccer Tournament at Stamford American International School in Singapore. Held from November 3 to 5 2017, at Stamford American’s Woodleigh campus, the three-day tournament saw both boys and girls compete in this prestigious annual event.
Established in 1995, SEASAC is an association of international schools in and around South East Asia. It exists to support International schools in South East Asia in achieving their educational goals. Through a range of sporting and artistic activities, SEASAC aims to promote closer links among teachers, administrators and students of its member schools; encourage opportunities for good quality competition and the pursuit of excellence; develop and extend social and cultural interaction; and to promote an appreciation of the rights, dignity and worth of every person.
Schools which participated in this year’s SEASAC Soccer 2017 Tournament at Stamford American included:
- Stamford American International School, Singapore
- Australian International School, Singapore
- British School Jakarta, Indonesia
- Harrow International School Bangkok, Thailand
- NIST International School, Bangkok, Thailand
- Ruamrudee International School, Bangkok, Thailand
- The International School, Yangoon, Myanmar
- The Alice Smith School, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Mont Kiara International Schools, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Stamford American’s Boys Soccer Team took home gold with a 4-0 shutout in the championship match on Sunday against The Alice Smith School, Kuala Lumpur. The Stamford American’s Girls Soccer Team placed fourth in the competition.
In addition to the tournament, some 33 coaches from the various schools met on the sidelines to share good practices and a framework to support sportsmanship and fair play.
Also this weekend was the SEASAC Volleyball Tournament in Jakarta, Indonesia, in which Stamford American’s Boys Volleyball Team also brought home the Championship title with the Girls Volleyball Team taking second place.
Stamford American was accepted into SEASAC in May 2017 after a rigorous selection process. To be accepted as a full member of SEASAC, candidate schools have to demonstrate that they have a SEASAC-level sports and activities program, be able to host high quality tournaments and events and have a supportive community and administrative structure to further develop the programs within member schools.
Within its Competitive Sports program, Stamford American has appropriate pathways for sporting development from Kindergarten to Grade 12 in a wide range of individual and team sports. Team sports offered include badminton, basketball, cross country, golf, gymnastics, rugby, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, touch, track & field and volleyball.
Stamford American Sporting Highlights
- First Place Boys Soccer - SEASAC Soccer Tournament, SINGAPORE, November 2017
- First Place Boys Volleyball - SEASAC Volleyball Tournament, INDONESIA, November 2017
- First Place U16 Boys Soccer - ACSIS Singapore League, November 2017
- First Place U11 Boys Tennis - ACSIS Singapore League, November 2017
- Two Swimmers qualified for FINA Swimming World Cup in Singapore, November 2017
- Two Stamford American coaches to represent the school and Singapore at the FINA Swimming World Cup in Singapore, November 2017
- Stamford American Gymnastics Team in its first ever competitive meet - Level 2 & Level 3 Senior Teams emerged as Champions and brought home a total of 5 Gold medals, February 2017
- Roberto Carlos, Real Madrid Superstar - Global Mentor clinic with Stamford American students, February 2017
It hosts 24 regional member competitions annually, in events such as cross country, volleyball, basketball, arts, Model United Nations, gymnastics and swimming. Being a SEASAC member school is an honor and provides real opportunities for students to be part of healthy inter-school competitions.